Posted: August 25th, 2017
Teaching Evaluator (part-time hourly)
Department of Biology
Colorado State University
The Teaching Evaluator (part-time, non-student hourly) will assist the Lab Coordinator with supervisory tasks related to undergraduate teaching.
Primary responsibility will be to observe and evaluate all Teaching Assistants (TAs) in Biological Science and LIFE classes (currently about 65 TA’s per semester). TA’s are graduate students that teach the lab sections for Biology and LIFE courses.
Evaluator will attend TA lectures, write up observations, and meet with the TA for feedback, comments and suggestions. If necessary, observe TA a second time for re-evaluation. At end of semester, read through student evaluations and pull up relevant comments for TA record. Evaluator will be required to attend some weekly informational meetings the first semester they have this job.
Duties will begin one month after classes begin each fall and spring semester, and run through the end of that semester. During the first semester, attending weekly informational meetings will begin the first week of classes. This position will entail an average of twenty hours per week, although the schedule must be extremely flexible to allow for observation of TAs throughout the day and evening. Some weeks will require more than twenty hours while some will require less than twenty hours.
The successful candidate will have significant experience teaching and experience evaluating others’ teaching skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Botany (or related field), or science-based education
- Two years of experience teaching in a classroom or lab setting involving biological topics
- Personal or professional commitment to diversity
- Master’s degree in Biology, Botany (or related field) or science-based Education
- Excellent oral and written communication ability
- Supervisory and/or teaching evaluator experience
- Strong organizational proficiency including multi-tasking, orientation to detail and project coordination
- An ability to work independently
- Ability to interact with diverse range of students
Wage: $15 to $17/hour based on experience
Email a cover letter, resume or CV, and the names of three references with complete contact information in a single document to email@example.com and Alpana.firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm MST, September 8, 2017. Late applications will not be considered.
CSU is an EO/EA/AA employer. Colorado State University conducts background checks on all final candidates.